Genii Convention 2019 Schedule

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Re: Genii Convention 2019 Schedule

Post by Chris Aguilar » 1 month ago

Also regret thinking taking a redeye for the cross country flight was a good idea. Thought it would minimize my jetlag, but I'm pretty sure it made it worse!
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Bill Mullins

Post by Bill Mullins » 1 month ago

Chris Aguilar wrote:
2 months ago
One aspect of Vegas that I hate is the constantly being around people smoking and going to bed every night smelling like an ashtray.
This isn't too much of a problem at the Orleans, where MagicLive is held. I too am smoke averse, and sensitive to it, but I don't see people smoking in the convention spaces (not sure if it is forbidden, or if people just don't do it.) You do walk by smokers going from the convention spaces to the food court and restaurants, but the ventilation is good, and the odor isn't oppressive. When I get home, my wife has never brought up "smokey smell" being on my clothes, etc.
I wish there were fewer events with a bit more time in between for sessioning.
I only made it to one LA History conference (the last one), but nothing started until after lunch. The mornings were available for people to just sit around and talk. (or sleep, if you were up too late the night before . . . ). It's not a "sessioning" event as much as a straight magic convention, but the schedule had room in it, which was nice.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 1 month ago

Good to hear that the Orleans has good air filters, as I really do want to make it out to magic live at least once.

At GGG (a very small, but exceptionally awesome convention) pretty much nothing starts until after noon or 1 PM which suits me down to the ground. Makes staying up to 2-3AM in the hospitality suite much more practical! When the suite isn't open for that convention, there's normally some space dedicated for sessioning (a few tables, with pads) which is very nice.

Genii had stuff I wanted to see (Ian Kendall) as early as 8 AM which was tough. Made it the first two days, but too exhausted to get up that early the third day.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Denis Behr

Post by Denis Behr » 1 month ago

8 AM really is no fun for a magic convention. The Session in London usually starts reasonably late in the morning as well, which is good. You don't want to hang out in the bar at night and think "damn... gotta go to bed if I want to catch XYZ in a reasonably wake state" when ordering every beer.
"The existence of gospel magic seems to me as compelling an argument for atheism as could be imagined."
T.A. Waters

Bill Mullins

Post by Bill Mullins » 1 month ago

That's right, Denis ordered every beer at the bar at The Session. Every single one. History will record it as the Great London Beer Shortage of 2018.

Bob Farmer

Post by Bob Farmer » 1 month ago

Magic should never be performed or discussed before sundown.