Today's Daiso Haul

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Today's Daiso Haul

Post by Chris Aguilar » 3 weeks ago

Took my daughter to the local Daiso Store (Japanese Store) Everything in the store is a buck fifty unless marked otherwise.

So this constitutes $7.50 total plus tax. (All items $1.50)

Click to enlarge.
DaisoHaul2.jpg
Upper right hand corner are "Herbert Bands", absolutely perfect for that effect. My second box, which probably constitutes a near "lifetime supply" at this point.

Below it is a circle cutter, which I'll test on a card and report back on.

At the bottom are #16 bands in pastel colors. Wanted to see if they matched the "Herbert" bands and found they do not. They are slightly larger, more in line with U.S. sized 16 and too large for Herbert. However, they look great and are really soft, very good for crazy man's handcuffs and anything else needing #16. Way better than what you get at office supply stores.

Another difference is that the Herbert bands are rubber and the pastel bands are artificial rubber. The Herbert bands seems more robust in terms of not breaking.

The item in the lower right is one of those finger strengtheners, Have no idea if I'll use it, or if it's effective, but wanted to check it out.

And at the upper right is a little cheap "daiso brand" magic trick (ring off rope). Not bad really, my daughter enjoyed it.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 3 weeks ago

The finger strengthener is useful for stretching your hands out after a long time on the computer.
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

"Get over it, you homophobic motherfuckers." - Kent Gunn

Social media is a hostile, crap-filled, dumpster-fire of shit.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 3 weeks ago

Circle cutter is not recommended. Doesn't work well through thickness of a card. Would probably be OK for regular paper.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

GaryBerard

Post by GaryBerard » 2 weeks ago

I also got some No. 16 pastels and found that they did not work for Herbert. My Dasio store did not have the colored ones in the box. Guess I'll have to check back later.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 2 weeks ago

Yeah, the "Herbert" (5 color) bands were a little hard to find this trip and I initially didn't see them. The boxes were stacked a lower shelf below all the other stuff and they had a large stock of them (probably 20-25 boxes).

Bill Mullins

Post by Bill Mullins » 2 weeks ago

It might be worth mentioning that if you live in an area without a Daiso store (like I do), they have a web presence and sell stuff like rubber bands online.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 2 weeks ago

Bill Mullins wrote:
2 weeks ago
It might be worth mentioning that if you live in an area without a Daiso store (like I do), they have a web presence and sell stuff like rubber bands online.
I saw that, but didn't share, as those aren't the bands that I've verified to work. They *might* work, but also aren't the bright colors that really make the effect "pop". The Monochrome versions might work, but aren't as nice looking. And, online, you have to buy 20/boxes at once, around $33 without tax.

Probably cheaper/easier to find someone who can get the correct (colorful) versions at $1.50/ea and have send them to you.

GaryBerard

Post by GaryBerard » 2 weeks ago

Chris Aguilar wrote:
3 weeks ago
Circle cutter is not recommended. Doesn't work well through thickness of a card. Would probably be OK for regular paper.
I have a couple of circle cutters that work well for cards. I also have a large hole punch, but it cannot quite reach the center of a poker sized card.
One of the circle cutters is from OLFA. I got it on Amazon. It works well for a card and you can center it pretty well. However, it is a bit difficult to cut through two cards if you need the circles perfectly lined up. I have another circle cutter from FISKARS that works well for cutting through two cards but it is hard to get it centered properly due to the design of the mechanism. I may be able to make a marking jig that will allow for the accurate placement of the cutter. I'll let you know if I have any success. There was a whole (pun not intended) series of effects with a card with a hole in it on the Reel Magic site.