Genii Convention 2019 Schedule

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Genii Convention 2019 Schedule

Post by Chris Aguilar » 2 months ago

This is of special interest to me as I'll be attending this year. Very excited to be going and the only act on this list that I'll pass by is "Piff the Magic Dragon".
Here's the final schedule for The Genii Convention! You can still sign up for the three workshops at www.geniiconvention.com

Wednesday October 2
12:00 pm to 3:00 pm Extra Charge Workshop with Hector Mancha
3:00 pm: Registration Opens
3:00 pm-10:00 pm Dealers Open
DINNER: Open Schedule
7:00 pm to 7:45 pm Tom Gagnon LECTURE
8:00 pm to 8:45 pm Paul Vigil LECTURE
9:00 pm to 9:20 pm Sara Crasson LECTURE
9:30 pm to 10:15 pm Jonathan Neal LECTURE
10:30 pm to 11:15 pm Akira Fujii LECTURE

Thursday October 3
8:00 am: Registration Opens
9:00 am to 1:45 pm Dealers Open
8:30 am to 9:15 am Ian Kendall BASIC TRAINING BREAKFAST
10:00 am to 10:45 am Mickaël Chatelain LECTURE
11:00 am to 12:00 pm Hector Mancha LECTURE
LUNCH and DEALER ROOM: 12:00 pm to 1:45 pm
12:00 pm to 1:00 pm 49 Boxes
2:15 pm to 7:00 pm Dealers Open
1:45 pm to 2:30 pm Jim Steinmeyer LECTURE
2:45 pm to 3:45 pm Paul Vigil ONE MAN SHOW
4:00 pm to 5:00 pm Nick Diffatte ONE MAN SHOW
DINNER and DEALER ROOM: 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm
5:00 pm to 6:00 pm 49 Boxes
7:00 pm to 8:30 pm GALA SHOW
Rob Zabrecky, Lucy Darling, Hector Mancha
9:00 pm to 10:00 pm Eric Jones
10:15 pm to 11:00 pm Rob Zabrecky Spiritualism LECTURE

Friday October 4
9:00 am to 1:30 pm Dealers Open
8:30 am to 9:15 am Ian Kendall BASIC TRAINING BREAKFAST
9:30 am to 10:30 am Gaëtan Bloom LECTURE
10:45 am to 11:45 am Bill Cheung FISM ACT and LECTURE
LUNCH and DEALER ROOM: 11:45 am to 1:30 pm
11:45 am to 12:45 pm 49 Boxes
2:00 pm to 8:00 pm Dealers Open
1:30 pm to 3:00 pm CLOSE-UP SHOW 1
Your Host: Michael Weber
Michael Vincent, Hector Mancha, Alexandra Duvivier, Akira Fujii
3:15 pm to 4:00 pm Hannibal ONE MAN SHOW
4:15 pm to 6:00 pm Penn & Teller
DINNER and DEALER ROOM: 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
6:00 pm to 7:00 pm 49 Boxes
8:00 pm to 10:10 pm GALA SHOW
Your Host: Pat Hazell
Pat Hazell, Jonathan Neal, Jonathan Pendragon
10:45 pm to 11:35 pm Piff the Magic Dragon Late Show For Adults

Saturday October 5
9:00 am to 1:00 pm Dealers Open
8:15 am to 9:00 am BASIC TRAINING BREAKFAST Ian Kendall
9:15 am to 10:15 pm David Kaye SHOW/LECTURE
10:30 am to 11:30 am Michael Vincent LECTURE
LUNCH and Dealer Room:11:30 am to 1:00 pm
11:30 am to 12:30 pm 49 Boxes
2:00 pm to 7:00 pm Dealer’s Open
1:00 pm to 2:30 pm CLOSE-UP SHOW 2
Your Host: Michael Weber
John Lovick, Gaëtan Bloom, Anna DeGuzman, Eric Jones
2:45 pm to 3:30 pm Dominique and Alexandra Duvivier DUO SHOW
4:00 pm to 4:50 pm Ben Seidman ONE MAN SHOW
DINNER and DEALER ROOM: 4:50 pm to 7:00 pm
5:00 pm to 6:00 pm 49 Boxes
7:00 pm to 9:15 pm GALA SHOW
Your Hosts: Nick Diffatte and Lucy Darling
Romany, David Kovac, Jay Johnson, John Archer
9:45 pm to 10:45 pm Dominique Duvivier LECTURE

Sunday October 6
Extra Charge Workshops (Traditions)
9:00 am to 12:00 pm Tom Gagnon
LUNCH 12:00 pm-1:00 pm
1:00 pm to 5:00 pm Max Maven
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 2 months ago

Oh my gosh, you do NOT want to skip Piff the Magic Dragon! I saw his show in Las Vegas last year, it is one of the funniest one-man magic shows I've seen - right up there with Harry Anderson and Mac King. (I think Amazing Jonathan was funny, but not really a magic show.)
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

"Get over it, you homophobic motherfuckers." - Kent Gunn

Social media is a hostile, crap-filled, dumpster-fire of shit.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 2 months ago

I dunno Jeff. Is "Piff's" show/character substantially better/funnier than what we saw on P&T's Fool Us show? Because that left me really cold. Actively kinda hated it.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 2 months ago

Well, the character's the same. He's a grumpy British guy dressed in a silly costume. Thought I found live his material is much better and well extremely well-thought-out, where the stuff he did on TV is good but not on the same level.
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 1 week ago

Just getting ready to board my flight to the Genii Convention '19. Hope to see some of you there.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Ok, just got to the Hotel, said hi to Richard Kaufman, ran into Jeff Prace (who I met at GGG) and now it's time to decompress, cleanup and register. I'll take some photos to share since I hardly ever see any from this convention.

GaryBerard

Post by GaryBerard » 1 week ago

Interesting that the lectures are so short. However, there seem to be a lot of them. I’ll be interested in your reports.

Have Fun.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Dealer room was really busy. Really jet lagged, so that kinda gave me a headache. Had fun seeing Tony, Rosey and Kent Gunn. Paul Harris is here and sort of floating around talking to everyone. Curtis Kam showed up later in the evening.

Tom Gagnon lecture had great material, but I was really tired and missed some of it.
Then they cranked the A/C and I got second wind.
Paul Vigil was awesome, showing an especially nice combo of "fast cash" and "endless Chain".
Sara Crasson talked about legal issues in protecting magical creations. Very nice presentation made a dry topic kinda fun.
Jonathan Neal closed out and he had a new linking rings routine (very nice) and highlighted a great take on the vanishing cane that he published in Genii some months back.

While watching the show, the gent next to me introduced himself and it was Gene Anderson of "Torn and Restored Newspaper" fame. Really nice guy, had some great conversap.tion with him. Had some fun card discussion with Ian Kendall, who has monster chops and a great take on Gagnon's hop.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Day two. Finally got over jet lag and was more social.

Started the morning (8 freakin' AM) with Ian Kendall. Lots of fun, kind of off the cuff. Full house, needs a bigger room for tomorrow.

Mickael Chatelain lectured on some incredible gaffs and showed how to make an effect flap card in less than five minutes. His booth was mobbed by people wanting to buy his gaffs. Really good stuff.

Hector Mancha lecture. Perhaps not as interesting due to language limitations. Some interesting ideas.

Jim Steinmeyer - Interesting historical talk and video presentation about Morrit's disappearing Donkey. Really interesting.

Paul Vigil - a full hour show in which Paul kicked all kinds of ass. Really nice multiple prediction effect.

Nick Diffate - very young guy, very talented, I guess he coverts for Mac King sometimes. A lot of fun and very impressive for such a young fellow.

Gala Show - Three performers (Lucy Darling, Hector Mancha, and Raymond Crowe) - Show was performed "round robin" with each performer coming to bat three times. Transition were nice and all three were pretty great.

Lucy Darling - Really funny character, sort of a boozy floozy. Did a really nicely presented variant of pass pass bottles.

Hector Mancha - His show pieces were really great, much more interesting than his lecture. Amazing card manipulation, honestly some of the best I've ever seen.

Raymond Crowe - Amazing act, first time I've seen him. Stellar take on Zombie with a borrowed gentleman's jacket and some astounding hand shadow work. Really enjoyed everything he did.

Missed Eric Jones lecture because I was hanging out in the bar with Curtis Kam, Ian Kendle, Ray Kosby, Craig Ousterling, Kent Gunn and Ryan Schlutz. Lots of great conversation and sessionining which is why I'm writing this so late.

Spent some quality time with Tony and Rosie Miller and I believe Rosie posted a goofy photo of me on FB. :biggrin:

Just a really great day overall, look forward to tomorrow for the first close up based show.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Yikes, too tired for much of an update today, but awesome again. A very nice performance by Mike Vincent, with a few items I had seen before but was happy to see again. Did I mention that Gaetan Bloom is all kinds of awesome? His linking pins is really clever.

"49 Boxes" is something I can't really explain, but started off as stressing me out, but then became pretty damn cool by the end.

Some excellent manipulation work (no cards or coins) by a Korean guy named Read Chang. Just beautiful to watch.

Watched 10-15 minutes then skipped out on Piff the magic dragon and instead spent that time in focused conversation with this guy and Lisa Menna (who was really great to talk to).
paul.jpg

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 1 week ago

Paul Harris is always interesting to talk to. What did you discuss?

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » 1 week ago

Lisa Menna should be better known. Her performance of High Heeled Card Stab is just a wonderful example of original card magic.
I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm puzzled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Bill Mullins

Post by Bill Mullins » 1 week ago

Chris Aguilar wrote:
1 week ago
While watching the show, the gent next to me introduced himself and it was Gene Anderson of "Torn and Restored Newspaper" fame. Really nice guy, had some great conversap.tion with him.
Gene Anderson is probably the nicest guy in magic.
At MagicLive in 2018, I stayed over a day to go see Mac King's show. Gene was there with a group of his friends. He knows Mac well, and had seen the show many times. He saw I was by myself and invited me to sit with them. After the show, he said, "What are you doing? We are going to have dinner with Mac -- wanna come?"
So seeing a great show turned into an even better experience, because of Gene.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Jeff Haas wrote:
1 week ago
Paul Harris is always interesting to talk to. What did you discuss?
Well, the conversation had a few people drop in and out. Ian Kendal, myself, Paul and a very nice lady who was bringing her young autistic son to the convention. Lisa Menna joined in and we talked for almost an hour.

Discussed Paul's current locations (he splits his time between Bali and Portland) complete with sharing of iphone photos. Discussed his essay on astonishment with an emphasis on how children perceive the world, etc. Spoke with Lisa Menna about some of the abusive ways that women in magic get treated, garnered some advice on how to effectively deal with my tween girl, etc. Really had a very far ranging discussion of small stuff to some fun stuff on Paul's view of creating magic and selling it these days, etc.

Really glad to have had a chance to meet and chat with him. Every bit as interesting a guy as I thought he'd be. And Lisa Menna is really smart, talented and a joy to converse with.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Last day today, was sort of binged out on too much magic, so skipped a few lectures, shows in lieu of some rest and general hanging around. Last day meant a lot more sessioning in the lobby and got to spend quality time with Kent Gunn, the Millers (Tony ad Rosey) Curtis Kam, Craig and Candy Ousterling, etc.

There were several people I was really happy to meet and spend some time with.
Richard Kaufman - Mostly talked Disney with him.
Ryan Schlutz - discussed a few tricks of his that I really like and he gifted me one of his "False Anchors" decks.
Ray Kosby - Nicest guy ever and a thrill to see him perform some of his classics.
Ian Kendall - Monster set of skills across almost every magic discipline. Has work on almost everything.

GaryBerard

Post by GaryBerard » 6 days ago

Sounds like it was a great convention.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 6 days ago

GaryBerard wrote:
6 days ago
Sounds like it was a great convention.
Yeah, though have to admit, perhaps one day too long for me. The last day I had a bit of "magic" fatigue and skipped about half the events. However, this let me spend more time with some old friends and make some new ones which is always a priority for me.

Overall, had a great time and would recommend the convention to anyone. Probably unlikely I'd travel so far for a convention again (this one was comped for me, both registration and room), but Richard Kaufman and his crew did a great job and I really enjoyed myself. The hotel/room was very nice and it was convenient having so many restaurants available so I didn't have to venture out into the humid Orlando heat. It seemed like a large portion of the attendees has plans to go to disney, universal, etc. after the convention and I can't say I would have had much energy left over for that.

I was worried that temptation might hurt my pocketbook in the dealers room but I got out with only spending about a hundred bucks which wasn't too crazy.

Have to admit it was great seeing some live acts that I'd only seen on TV before (or not at all). John Archer, great, Duvivier and his daughter, great, Nick Diffate(sp?) great.

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 6 days ago

Sounds like it was a good one! I have the same reaction to magic conventions and really only can take one a year. I don't know how these people go to more than that.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 3 days ago

Jeff Haas wrote:
6 days ago
Sounds like it was a good one! I have the same reaction to magic conventions and really only can take one a year. I don't know how these people go to more than that.
This was the only year I've ever gone to two (GGG and Genii). GGG is so convenient for me (i.e. I can drive to it, it's inexpensive, and only goes on for three days, always has great talent, a lot of my friends show up) that it's always a complete pleasure. The genii convention was great, but jetlag, dealing with a long cross country flight, and being four days long kind of wore on me.

But some of that's me, since I hate traveling in general. I had a great time and the Genii convention and would definitely recommend it, especially for those on the east coast.

I figure I do have to do magic live at least once. My wife could enjoy the vegas-ey stuff while I nerd out with the magi. One aspect of Vegas that I hate is the constantly being around people smoking and going to bed every night smelling like an ashtray.