If I wanted to start learning a bit about Okito coin box work...

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Re: If I wanted to start learning a bit about Okito coin box work...

Post by Chris Aguilar » 4 weeks ago

Of course, there's something to be said for beautiful props.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Bob Farmer

Post by Bob Farmer » 4 weeks ago

Jonathan: I never thought of that sticker idea, but that's a great idea.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 4 weeks ago

I actually think Jeff's idea (to use the cheap mint tins) would work nicely with Bob's (3 box) routine. Not sure how the requisite coins would fit in those tins though...
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 3 weeks ago

Agreed, the sticker idea with Bob's routine is really good.

Chris, I actually think that the 3D printed plastic mint tins are a better idea than the off-the-shelf tins. The idea is to make the box look like you got it at a store, so it should be white, yellow, or blue plastic.
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

"Get over it, you homophobic motherfuckers." - Kent Gunn

Social media is a hostile, crap-filled, dumpster-fire of shit.

Mark Papa

Post by Mark Papa » 3 weeks ago

Fixed the youtube video so it plays from the beginning:

The benefits of using a Boston box...

Mark Papa

Post by Mark Papa » 3 weeks ago

Waiting on delivery of the Luis Piedrahita book in English. In the meantime I’ve been on a YouTube binge watching his routines.

For Okito work, this is another particularly fine routine which I’m guessing is probably using a Okito slot box switched out for a Boston box:

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 3 weeks ago

I totally get why you'd binge his stuff. Wow, he's good.
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 3 weeks ago

Damn! Luis Piedrahita is awesome. What I like about his coinwork (purely as a spectator) is the clarity he brings to it. I've seen some other routines (some by some very well regards guys) who have a flourishy, extraneous action feel to their magic that frankly makes me lose focus (and interest) in what is going on.

I think Mark is correct about switchout to a boston box to end, but so smooth...

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 1 week ago

Craig Ousterling's handling (which he normally does "in the hands") is really nice.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » 1 week ago

J Burke Whittaker is giving away two free downloads on Coin Box Routines.

Check it out here: https://gumroad.com/l/ThsI/Freeforanystudentofmagic

From the other "Green Forum"
J Burke Whittaker wrote:I feel I need to explain why this is happening. A company from China has been selling Coin Box Concepts without my permission and before you assume I am complaining about being ripped off that is not the point of this post. Paraphrasing Thomas, Duke of Norfolk; I realize that I cannot keep my stuff and sell it too; the old cake conundrum at its best.

My hope is that if I give away as many of them as possible I can devalue the download and make it next to impossible to make any money from the company who has taken it from me. I want to add that it is one of their higher priced downloads too so they must be doing pretty well with it. I am giving it away absolutely free for anyone interested in learning it.

This is no BS at all it is my full volume 1 and 2 absolutely free no money being made from it in any way not on the back end not on the front end. Unfortunately it has been my experience that this type of posts always get deleted so if anyone has any idea of how I can give this away here I would appreciate it.

I have given away 1500 copies via Facebook already trying to keep anyone from buying it from Magic-88. I have had incredible encouragement and support from magicians from all over the world.
Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Wow, sorry to hear that Mr. Whittaker is in this situation. The link does seem legitimate and gumroad (the distributing site) is also legit.

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 1 week ago

I first realized just how far magic cloning had come when David Regal talked about the Clarity Box...he said he got about 90 days of sales out of it before clones started showing up on ebay. I guess the digital downloads get put up on these sites as soon as they're released.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Take a look at this. Josh Jay's excellent "Triad" coins (a double shell set, very nice for $59).

They are offered only in american half dollar size and a UK version.

But then I saw this on Amazon.

They've actually cloned it in faux Morgan dollar size. The packaging is even the same except with the words (Morgan Dollar Edition) added.

Now I don't know how good the gaff is, but I actually did buy just some of the fake (steel) Morgans a while ago so I could have some larger coins to play around with and they feel and look surprisingly nice.(click to enlarge)
Faux_Morgan.jpg
The gaffs for this knock off look like they might be made of the same coins.
Attachments
triad-morgan.jpg

Jeff Haas

That's funny, I just discovered these same reproduction Morgans the other day and ordered a couple and an expanded shell to try out. I like Gregory Wilson's "Fist Full of Dollars" routine, which he first taught years ago at a convention lecture. He recently reissued it with some tweaks to the handling. Similar effect to Triad Coins but only uses one shell. I never had a silver dollar shell, only a half dollar.

I'm also not a fan of the end of Josh's routine where you ditch the coin set in your watchband.

I think both of these routines are derived from Troy Hooser's "Extroydinary" routine, which Chad Long does all the time. It's about halfway through this video:

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

That Troy Hooser routine is pretty great! Doesn't it use a flipper though also?

I think the last vanish for Triad is fine is you wear a watch. Won't fool magicians probably, but the coin set is nice and has other applications.

Found this very smooth performance of the basic Roth Routine.

Frank Yuen

Post by Frank Yuen » 1 week ago

If I remember correctly, Extroydinary only uses a shell. If no one else confirms, I'll search my library later.

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » 1 week ago

I've seen a few other things offered by Blu-ther on Amazon. Always thought they were sketchy.

I'm half tempted to buy the Morgan version since I paid for Josh's half dollar version, I wouldn't feel too guilty about it, but I don't what to support those assholes. They are certainly taking other sales away from Josh.

Jeff Haas

Frank, you're right, Extroydinary only uses two coins and a shell. The really clever bit that went past me at first is where Chad stores the shelled coin on the back of his neck! That's why he is so free with the one coin and does a bunch of stuff before he retrieves it. The routine was originally published in the Magic Man Examiner and then in his book and DVD.

Bill, when David Regal mentioned what happened with the Clarity Box, I did some digging. It seems that almost everything that's a major magic release is now pirated by someone in China. Any sort of media, especially downloads, is available for sale for a fraction of the original price. And any of the apparatus is cloned quickly. After all, the Clarity Box is just a clear acrylic box with a simple gimmick - for a factory with extra bandwidth, it should be simple to run off.

What amazes me is that there's enough money in magic props to make cloning all that stuff worthwhile. I guess with the internet and world-wide shipping it is enough, plus there's probably bandwidth in China to run this stuff off late at night.

The seller on Amazon is very likely not the manufacturer. What you will see on Amazon for lots of products, not just magic, is that someone makes it over in China and then multiple sellers on Amazon and eBay compete with each other, undercutting the price until they get razor-thin margins. I took a look at Blu-ther's store and he seems to be one of those guys.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Jeff Haas wrote:
1 week ago
What amazes me is that there's enough money in magic props to make cloning all that stuff worthwhile. I guess with the internet and world-wide shipping it is enough, plus there's probably bandwidth in China to run this stuff off late at night.
Yeah, that's always puzzling to me too. Now that I look at the listing for the faux triad, I realize this is the same seller (who, I agree, is probably not the producer) that I purchased the (frankly great) faux dollar coins from.
If he can sell me these coins for five bucks (shipped!) it tells me that production cost must be pennies. Coins are truly nice though.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

It also looks like the Chinese also have all our most important sponge ball needs covered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1set-Small-Spo ... Sw2idbLhlo