If I wanted to start learning a bit about Okito coin box work...

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

If I wanted to start learning a bit about Okito coin box work...

Post by Chris Aguilar » 2 weeks ago

... is the big Roth book too advanced for total beginner in such things?

I've been reading through it, working along a bit with a buddha box and the moves don't seem crazy hard, but I get the nagging feeling I should be looking somewhere more basic first.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 2 weeks ago

Chris, there aren't many books on coin work. You might want to get a copy of J.B. Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic." It came out in paperback from Dover a few years back, so used copies are super cheap. Otherwise, the references for Okito coin box routines are pretty scattered...

https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/s ... =okito+box

So you basically go from the moves in Bobo to the ones in Roth's big book. The other stuff is mostly variations.

Also, there's a guy out there who sells plastic, 3D printed Okito boxes, which can be dressed up with a sticker to look like you got them at the drug store:

http://funtasticmagic.com/products/2-coin-boxes
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

"Get over it, you homophobic motherfuckers." - Kent Gunn

Social media is a hostile, crap-filled, dumpster-fire of shit.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 2 weeks ago

Thanks Jeff. I think that's the way to go.

I've actually been revisiting Bobo (I do have the proper updated hardback version) and have read through pretty much all the Roth stuff in his book. The Roth material seems somewhat accessible and not as knucklebusting as I feared. I do like the buddha box (stock, not a Boston or slot) I bought a while back (stainless steel) and it seems to to have no issues with most of Roth Material from what I see. I don't see myself ever being a coin guy, but I really want to nail down some basic stuff.

In other news (be kind) I'm exploring rubber-band magic for the first time in my life and really getting some enjoyment out of it. Finding a really good start with the work of Dan Harland and Joe Rindfliech (sp?).
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 2 weeks ago

Rubber band magic is fun, but only for really close-up conditions. I dropped most of it due to visibility.
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

Bruce Arnold

Post by Bruce Arnold » 2 weeks ago

I worked on a David Roth Okito Coin Box routine when it was published as part of the "New Stars of Magic" series in 1973.It was was written up by Karl Fulves. I was never a coin guy, but this routine was very doable for me.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 1 week ago

Thanks Bruce. I'll definitively look into it. There was a quite good routine on Reelmagic magazine that I might also consider.

My hands have been incredibly dry of late, which is killing me, making card work so much harder and making coin work seem impossible. I'm trying some recommended lotion (O'Keefes Working Man, which is cheap on Amazon) and so far, so good. Just gotta keep my wife and daughter from using it all!

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Jeff Haas wrote:
2 weeks ago
Rubber band magic is fun, but only for really close-up conditions. I dropped most of it due to visibility.
Since my main interest is for really closeup (one on one or just a few people) , the band stuff might be for me. Learned and then showed my daughter (at 12, already an expert "magician buster") Dan Harlan's "Impromptu Linking Bands" (using the Joe Rindfleisch handling) and her reaction was very satisfying. I've casually used "pinnacle" (ring on band) in the past and I like that one a lot.

Bob Farmer

Post by Bob Farmer » 1 week ago

I learned the Roth routine when it came out and it's very good. My coin box routine is here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5468 (with the boxes)

Routine only:

https://www.lybrary.com/mojo-boogie-boxes-p-922434.html

It requires no hard moves and is designed for the non-coin person.

Ray J

Post by Ray J » 1 week ago

Highly recommend the Roth book, not just for the Okito but for all of the other great stuff. There are a bunch of Okito routines in there as well as individual sleights. There are a core group of sleights that will serve you well and with them you can create your own routines.

There is also a youtube channel with many routines to look at including some from Curtis Kam.

The neat thing about box routines is that you can make them short and sweet, or long, multi-phase epics. You are limited by your own creativity.

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » 1 week ago

I would say start with the Roth material. There's not much out there that's better, and as you noted it's not too difficult. I learned a lot of stuff with the box (I used to be a coin guy), and none of it spoke to me until I read Expert Coin Magic.

Mike Gallo has some good work, which is more technically demanding, and Curtis has been making a few waves with the stuff he's finally decided to release...
I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm puzzled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » 1 week ago

Jeff Haas wrote:
2 weeks ago
A local guy, Robert Stephens, does a bit during Crazy Man's Handcuffs were the spectator is holding the bands and he pull them towards himself (and "at" the helper) and the tension on his helper's face before he let's go and the magic happens "in her hands" reads amazingly well for a room of a 80 or so people. (Having seen him do it at a work party I had no idea he was booked for...)
I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm puzzled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Bob Farmer wrote:
1 week ago
I learned the Roth routine when it came out and it's very good. My coin box routine is here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5468 (with the boxes)

Routine only:

https://www.lybrary.com/mojo-boogie-boxes-p-922434.html

It requires no hard moves and is designed for the non-coin person.
Using the boxes in a "3 Card Monte" aspect is pretty darned clever.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Ok, I just got the Roth Book a few months back, but all the recommendations have convinced me that it's a great place to start (i.e. not too difficult, but effective routines). And I'm partial to it, for purely cosmetic reasons, as it's really nicely produced book, just a pleasure to read.

In terms of Rubber-band magic, I've been going through a lot of foundations stuff lately (Harlan, Rindfleisch,etc.) and (while it's not extremely important to me personally) it does seem like some routines could be nice and visible at a good distance.

I'm finding that video seems to be a more effective teaching tool for my use in terms of rubber-band magic over various books/lectures I've looked at. It's just tough to teach that kind of thing effectively in print.

Mark Papa

Post by Mark Papa » 1 week ago

Funnily enough, I was just checking out this rather wonderful routine and considering, as a card-only guy, giving it a crack:

Last edited by Mark Papa 4 days ago, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Farmer

Post by Bob Farmer » 1 week ago

One thing that bugs some magicians is just what the "box" is supposed to be. When I was doing the Roth routine I said it was a portable combination safe that burglars and safe crackers used to practice. Then I would turn the lid this way and that pretending to work the combination prior to opening the box.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Does a box need to be anything other than a box? Think about the many weird, unusual and freaky box types (any kind of box in the real world) and people don't blink an eye. It's just a container. By some standards, the normal (i.e. plain) type Okito boxes aren't really that strange to me at all. Even when I try to putt on my layman glasses.

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 6 days ago

I think the typical Okito box is way over-engineered. It went from an off-the-shelf pill box to this chunky brass thing. Ideally it should look like one of these:
https://www.goimprints.com/product/snap ... -550411008

Bob Farmer

Post by Bob Farmer » 6 days ago

I have to disagree, Jeff. The box has to look sturdy, solid and perhaps over engineered, so that when the coins are inside, they can't possibly get out.

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 6 days ago

Just like a sub trunk!

Jonathan Townsend

Post by Jonathan Townsend » 6 days ago

What's your objective? Maybe there are boxes which hold poker chips so you can ease up the weight factor. Is there something you want to do that's not in the Bey Okito book? The Milt Kort routine ( o-Kort-o box set ;) ) is pretty good. If you can afford the setup - Bob Farmer's routine is sensible. (Hey Bob, did you include a bit where you put a sticker on the lid of the box with the bucks and - ala torn corner swindle?)