Vaya con dios Mad

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Vaya con dios Mad

Post by Chris Aguilar » 2 months ago

If this is true, it really saddens me. It's a happy slice of my youth that I thought would always be around.

https://www.cbr.com/mad-magazine-shutting-down-report/
Mad Magazine may be coming to an end.

Longtime Mad contributor Evan Dorkin bid the publication goodbye on social media. In a series of Tweets, he described how he received a "crushing" email about Mad shutting down. "Today won't end. Goodbye, MAD Magazine. As a youngster I was a huge fan of the 70's era, as a young adult I rediscovered the 50's comics, as an old nerd I somehow became a contributor (often working w/ Sarah Dyer) for the last decade +. Getting the e-mail today was crushing," he wrote.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 2 months ago

Update, not technically gone, but might as well be.

https://www.cbr.com/mad-magazine-not-ca ... int-focus/

No more new material. Just occasional reprints of "vintage" stuff. The point of mad is that is often timely, a reflection of culture/society. Now it'll just be a shadow of old reprint stuff.
While MAD will cease publishing new material after Issue #10 arrives in October, the series will continue to be released on its current bi-monthly schedule, but as a reprint periodical. Future issues will feature "vintage" material, along with new covers that will presumably continue to skewer current events.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Bob Farmer

Post by Bob Farmer » 2 months ago

As soon as it was sold, it died. Like when Elvis was drafted. He was "dead" after that.