Penn and his Kindle

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Penn and his Kindle

Post by Chris Aguilar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:19 am

Never really understood the "reading in the tub" thing.
Interview with Penn: wrote:Taking his Kindle into the bath

"I was a big Kindle guy. I used to drop it in the bathtub. I'd fall asleep and drop it in. I'd write to my customer service person at Amazon, who was (founder Jeff Bezos) and I'd say, `I have to buy another Kindle,' and then I'd drop it in the bathtub again." Bezos suggested putting the device in a waterproof plastic bag.

Why he prefers the iPad

"I like to read in the dark. I like to go into the bathtub, turn out all the lights, and in the dark, read my books." He hasn't dropped the iPad in the water. It's "a little heavier. When it starts to fall, I wake up."
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Joe Mckay

Re: Penn and his Kindle

Post by Joe Mckay » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Penn is a bit weird when it comes to reading. Before the iPad - he used to talk about reading books on his iPhone late at night in bed (with the lights off). So I can't relate to his point of view.

I hate ebooks - give me paper and ink anytime.

Joe

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:38 pm

You'd think a guy who dropped his Kindle into the bath tub would figure out that you can buy things to hold your book over the tub so it doens't fall in, and extrapolate that those things would also hold a Kindle.
I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm puzzled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Zane

Post by Zane » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:11 am

At least he can take a bath without dying.

I got a kindle as a gift. I like it.
Enid: Look at this.
Rebecca: What?
Enid: Is Stacy Himmler going out with Rod Harbaugh??
Rebecca: Oh, God. How perfect.
Enid: He better watch out or he'll get AIDS when he date-rapes her.

Tristan OMalley

Post by Tristan OMalley » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:19 am

The Kindle is one of the best purchases i've made in a long long time. I like books, but i like e-reader books too. I guess Penn is famous (or persuasive enough) that they'd send him replacements. Can't see that happening if i were to drop mine in the tub. Which wouldn't happen as i never bathe. I mean, i take showers.
Best retort read on the Genii board: "No disrespect intended, Travis; But I believe that you are one of those fellows capable of carrying on a two week long argument with a Coca~Cola machine."

Bob Farmer

Post by Bob Farmer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:15 am

Okay, I broke down and bought a Kindle. Had to. Needed to do a deal with Kindle for a book, so I had to understand how it worked.

It's great for certain kinds of reading--like fiction, where once you read the book, you don't need the physical thing cluttering up your life. I used to keep every book I read. Now I have thousands of (non-magic) books I may never read again. They're taking up space.
h
The screen is really, really clear and legible. I got the leather cover with the light and this makes reading at night easy. The screen does not glow in the dark--it's just black on a sort of white.

I never thought I'd come to this conclusion, but there you are.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:40 am

We own two e-books (first generation nook for me, and the even better nook simple touch screen variant for my wife).

Ad Bob mentions, the e-ink is awesome on the eyes. Much much nicer than reading off a computer screen (or ipod, ipad, iphone, droid phone, etc.)

If you guys remember, I was very leery of e-ink. I was definitively wrong there. It's great for the type of reading I like to do (fiction, bios, etc.). Wish the battery life on my nook (original version) was a bit longer, but the newer nooks (and to a lesser extent kindles) have superb battery life.

If one wants to save a few bucks, one can pick up a re-furb nook touch for only $79 directly from Barne & Noble's web site. Unlike the Kindle, the least expensive version is fully touch screen and doesn't force ads on you.

Refurb nook touch screen for $79

I bought my original nook as a refurb and it was like new. Have had no problems with it at all.

For any nook or kindle, a cover is recommended. I'd not buy one retail, as nice one's can be had online in the $15-20 range.

These e-ink books aren't great for magic, but I have a workable version of (public domain of course) Expert card technique that I've converted to epub format and enjoy on the nook. If I get the text cleaned up enough, I'll make it available gratis to everyone.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Tristan OMalley

Post by Tristan OMalley » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:12 am

I find reading the Kindle is actually easier on the eyes, or at least i can read it for longer than a regular book. One big bonus of e-readers is that when you're reading in bed, you don't have to keep switching sides because there's only one "page" on an e-reader, if you will.
Best retort read on the Genii board: "No disrespect intended, Travis; But I believe that you are one of those fellows capable of carrying on a two week long argument with a Coca~Cola machine."

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 am

Tristan OMalley wrote: One big bonus of e-readers is that when you're reading in bed, you don't have to keep switching sides because there's only one "page" on an e-reader, if you will.
It seems like such a small thing, but the small motion mitigated truly does make reading more pleasant for me.

Another nice thing is if one reads outdoors. In a stiff breeze, even a paperback is kind of hard to read as the pages flutter around. With an e-book, there's no problem. Only with e-ink though, because trying to read in sunlight from a tablet, phone, laptop screen, etc. stinks due to the glare.

rmorrell

Post by rmorrell » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:26 am

I absolutely love my Kindle can't think of reading books any other way now. Obviously I still buy magic books but for fiction or biography reading etc this is the way to go for me period. It means I can carry round tons of books, so I can skip between reading, which I do! Plus the advantage of small form factor, light to hold, and e-ink just makes it a no brainer. I use my iPad to read but mainly Instapaper longform articles (which I can also get delivered to my Kindle) and MAGIC and Genii magazine.

I have a waterproof case for my Kindle and regularly take it into the bath to read, it works like a charm!
Rich.

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:28 pm

I finally broken down awhile back and got the Kindle Voyage while it was on sale (so like $18.00 more than the Paperwhite I was thinking about for so long). I'm almost entirely in love with the thing. Largely because it's got me reading a lot more. The form factor is just amazing, and the adaptive screen lighting is amazing, from sitting in my car in bright sunlight to a completely dark room.

I've been reading a bunch of ebooks on on modern horror films.
Modern Horrors

Horror Movie A Day

I'm really disappointed in the "experimental" web browser, which since the thing runs LInux, should do a better job rendering pages, but i assume it sucks so badly because the screen is so slow. And the interface could be better, but you can't beat the reading experience.
I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm puzzled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:28 pm

I still use my nook simple touch nearly every day. It's so great for reading novels.

My library has a great program that allows me to freely download/read current magazines (good ones) on my tablet, so that's also nice. I just need to update to a larger ( 10 inch) tablet for comic book and magazine reading.

Eoin O'Hare

Post by Eoin O'Hare » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:26 am

I bought the iPad pro (the big one) when it came out, mainly because of the Pencil. It has completely changed the way I work.
Notebooks are things of the past! I keep all my notes and drawings etc using the pencil on the iPad pro. Notability app.
But an unexpected bonus was the ability to read the Sphinx, Jinx, Hugard's Monthly etc. at near full page size. It's fantastic!
Designer & Maker of The Stripper Jig Card Trimmer
www.theperfectshuffle.com

Joe Mckay

Post by Joe Mckay » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:42 am

I am a book guy.

If paper was invented today - it would be seen as a huge technological breakthrough compared to cumbersome portable reading devices.

Cheap. No batteries. Doesn't smash on the ground. Can be written on. Lasts forever - no software upgrades needed. Splash proof. Can be read in strong sunlight. And never freezes or breaks down. Plus the tactile feedback has been shown to improve memory recall.

Also - no distractions from emails as you read. And who needs a thousand books on one device? The fun of reading for me is deciding which 4-5 books I currently want to focus on. And each day I can dip into a couple of them.

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Joe,
We have a literal ton of books in our home; paper's a bit cumbersome. Not that I dislike it, but the (actual) Kindle doesn't have any of the negatives of paper books or really any of the negatives you listed for a tablet. Sunlight is not an issue, and with the Voyage neither is complete darkness.

I charge my Kindle once a month, maybe. I can annotate anything I read and those annotations are available on my phone even when the Kindle is at home. I can even share my annotations, and see what others have made, which is kinda cool for technical works and reference materials.

And all my books are available for a quick read as long as I'm at any computer because there's a Kindle online reader, and they and their annotations are backed up so I can't misplace them, or lose them, or forget to bring them with me.

The only downside to me is the idea of paying over a hundred bucks to purchase a store that I can carry with me. But having done that, I have to say I recommend taking the plunge.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Joe Mckay

Post by Joe Mckay » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:19 pm

Reading on a computer screen is just not the same.

I can barely remember anything I have ever read online or any of the tens of thousands of emails I have read and sent.

But I can recall just about everything I have read in books.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/ ... gitisation

Joe Mckay

Post by Joe Mckay » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:20 pm

I am a minimalist though. So I hate having lots of books around which is a problem since I buy about 100 books a year.

Basically - 95% of the books I buy - I end up throwing away after I have read them.

The other 5% is made up of books I put to one side because I don't feel like reading them yet or books that are worth keeping longer term (eg philosophy and magic books). It is quite fun to think that my flat contains more interesting books I have yet to read than just about any book store I have visited.
Last edited by Joe Mckay on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:07 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:Reading on a computer screen is just not the same.

I can barely remember anything I have ever read online or any of the tens of thousands of emails I have read and sent.

But I can recall just about everything I have read in books.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/ ... gitisation
I'm happy to read the study, but for me, and i would guess a lot of people, it has more to do with what you are reading on a computer screen than what you read on paper. I can remember a great deal about stuff I've read on news sites over the last 28 years,but very few particulars about the Destroyer pulp novels that I used to read in paperback (or the magic book DesTroyers for that matter). I tend to remember stuff that's important to me. I don't do any of Troy's work so while I know about it in a vague way, he could still fool me with material from the book because I read it ages ago and had no need for long term retention of the details.

For the stuff I read on the Kindle I don't really need to retain it. I'm reading it because the act of reading it is fun. And if it's a reference, I only need to remember which book I found it in (or I can do a global keyword search of my library.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:15 pm

Interesting study. Desperately needs peer review and validation with other materials. I have to say the bit about remembering where in the story events occurred being easier when you have the number of pages on the left and right to help feels like it's probably valid. What I know about memory (and teaching) is that the more ways you present information the better people will retain it and that's a data point that ebooks don't have.

I would really love to see them try it with a group of people reading Slaughterhouse 5 or Catch 22, where the timeline of the books isn't linear, and see what impact that had on their ability to know where in the book something happened.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Joe Mckay

Post by Joe Mckay » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:07 pm

I quite like magic ebooks now.

Nothing beats a nice paper magic book. But most of the time an ebook is just as good since I am at a stage where if I find even one trick in a book I am happy. So it is nice to be able to scan a book and then print off whatever catches my eye. Most of the time - nothing does.

Still - for books like the recent Tenyo book and the upcoming Jerx book (ie books I know are going to be amazing) it has to be paper every time.

Only a couple more weeks to wait for Andy's book!