Musical Diversity

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Musical Diversity

Post by Chris Aguilar » 6 months ago

It's always seemed obvious that today's music is more programmatic, more generic than past decades.

The NY times created this really cool interactive story, that really breaks it down and leads to a conclusion that we might be pulling away from the cookie cutter nonsense.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Bob Farmer

Post by Bob Farmer » 6 months ago

These sorts of pseudo-scientific, musicological analyses have been around for decades but there's one indisputable fact: none of the people who have created these "formulas" have ever, or will ever, compose a hit song.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Bob Farmer wrote:
6 months ago
These sorts of pseudo-scientific, musicological analyses have been around for decades but there's one indisputable fact: none of the people who have created these "formulas" have ever, or will ever, compose a hit song.
Do you think any of the metrics purporting to show complexity of musical expression to have any value?

I"m kind of on the fence, seeing as how many hits today are not only very formulaic, but come from a very small # songwriters.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » 6 months ago

Bob,
Isn't the whole point of that article that Max Martin created a formula that ended up creating 21 hit songs, for a number of "different" artists?

I'd love to see that data visualization for Talking Heads' catalog.You'd be hard pressed to find a band with that sort of diversity of styles...
I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm puzzled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

And the other topic, dynamic range compression, is definitely really and definitely sucks to have that range narrowed simply to make everything sound louder, punchier... most often shittier.