Penn and his Kindle

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Re: Penn and his Kindle

Post by Chris Aguilar » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:47 pm

I just bought my wife one of those "2 in 1" laptops that doubles as a large(15.6 inch) tablet and found that reading PDFs of magic books, purchased from L&L ,to be a really pleasant experience on the larger screen.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Bill Duncan wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:28 pm
I finally broken down awhile back and got the Kindle Voyage while it was on sale (so like $18.00 more than the Paperwhite I was thinking about for so long). I'm almost entirely in love with the thing. Largely because it's got me reading a lot more. The form factor is just amazing, and the adaptive screen lighting is amazing, from sitting in my car in bright sunlight to a completely dark room.

I've been reading a bunch of ebooks on on modern horror films.
Modern Horrors

Horror Movie A Day

I'm really disappointed in the "experimental" web browser, which since the thing runs LInux, should do a better job rendering pages, but i assume it sucks so badly because the screen is so slow. And the interface could be better, but you can't beat the reading experience.
I thought I'd bump this thread, for a couple of reasons:
1. Amazon has released version 2 of the Kindle Oasis. It's waterproof to twice the depth of my bathtub, so Penn's point is moot now.
2. As of Dec. 25th, I have a surplus Kindle Voyage that has never left my house. Best offer over $150.00 gets it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm puzzled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:22 pm

I got a Kindle Voyager last year and agree with all of the above - I have stopped buying fiction and other read-once books. Also, it turns out that you can get ebooks from other places than the Amazon store and load them onto the Kindle via an open source app named Calibre:
https://calibre-ebook.com/

It recognizes the type of Kindle attached and can convert the ebook into a Kindle format automatically, if needed. There was a period that Amazon had dropped one of the publishers due to some disagreement over royalties, which meant that the authors were not getting their books listed on the Kindle. Once you know you can get ebooks from other stores and use Calibre, then the Kindle becomes a really nice e-reader without limitations. I think Calibre may work for a Nook, too, but I don't have one of those.
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

"Get over it, you homophobic motherfuckers." - Kent Gunn

Social media is a hostile, crap-filled, dumpster-fire of shit.

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 pm

I've had mixed results with Calibre' The UI is far from intuitive.

Still, it's certainly worth the few minutes it takes to download.
I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm puzzled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:00 am

The one thing I did is install one of their alternate icon sets. The defaults in Calibre are ugly, but the user-supplied ones are inspired by various OS looks out there and some are really nice.

All I ever do is add a book to the library, plug the Kindle in and sync. Ignore all the other options.
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

"Get over it, you homophobic motherfuckers." - Kent Gunn

Social media is a hostile, crap-filled, dumpster-fire of shit.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:36 pm

We are now a "two Kindle family" (my wife and I) with my daughter using my old B&N Nook. I've been using Calibre for years and when I got my new Kindle last year, I converted many (thousands) of pre-existing .epub files over to .mobi format (Kindle) with no muss/no fuss. You can also set the program to search for covers, metadata, etc. automatically and it does a great job with that too.

The paperwhite model hit the sweet for us as it's high resolution (300 dpi), has a really nice built in glowing screen, is lightweight, syncs easily with calibre, and and be had (when it's on sale) for about a hundred bucks.

Our local library now has an excellent selection (including pretty much all new bestsellers) and a robust checkout/waitlist system that works seamlessly with the kindle. If your tablet supports overdrive (the cloud borrowing solution) you can also check out color magazines and (joy!) full graphic novels that are designed to be readable even on smaller (7 inch) tablets.

I use the kindle or kindle app, every single day.

Bill's price of $150 for his Oasis is a great deal and I'd be tempted if I weren't already happy with the paperwhite.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 pm

Voyage. The Oasis is the foolishly expensive one...

I tell everyone to ignore the cheap one, and go for 300 dpi. The adaptive backlight is damn nice too.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Bill Duncan wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 pm

I tell everyone to ignore the cheap one, and go for 300 dpi. The adaptive backlight is damn nice too.
My wife had to get used to the Kindle Paperwhite (she wore out her nook simple touch) but now she loves it. Some reviews of the 300 dpi Kindles said they couldn't see the difference, but the sharpness (in combination with the backlight) is really evident to me. Love that the backlight has like 20+ settings so you can get it just right.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:02 am

Bill Duncan wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 pm

My Daughter (soon to be ten years old) really wants the backlighted Paperwhite Kindle too.

However, from past recent history, I know she'll use it to read after her set "lights out", sleepy time...

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 am

Amazon is updating their cheaper Paperwhite Kindles to more closely resemble the very pricey Voyage model. I won't update until my current kindle dies, but I imagine some folks will really dig the waterproofing at such a low price point. Extra memory and built in bluetooth for audiobooks is kind of neat.
But all in all, Amazon has essentially turned the new Paperwhite into a waterproof, updated Voyage. Where the old Voyage used to cost $200, the new Paperwhite starts at just $129.99 for the 8GB, Wi-Fi model (which is $10 more than the old Paperwhite used to cost). In addition to the $129.99 8GB model, there’s also a $159.99 32GB version and a $249.99 32GB option with included 3G.
Already available to pre-order.