John Williams

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

John Williams

Post by Chris Aguilar » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Here's a great article (with audio samples) highlighting the very best of John Williams movie theme music.

For the most part, I agree with the the rankings they've chosen.

I'm especially fond of the "planet krypton theme" from the original Superman movie.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Bob Gerdes

Re: John Williams

Post by Bob Gerdes » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:37 pm

What a great article!

Thanks for the link, Chris.
Eschew obfuscation

Zane

Post by Zane » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:04 pm

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the title; I thought he was dead.

Incredibly prolific; I'm fond of the end titles for Presumed Innocent and some of the chase music in Last Crusade (both mentioned in the article).
Enid: Look at this.
Rebecca: What?
Enid: Is Stacy Himmler going out with Rod Harbaugh??
Rebecca: Oh, God. How perfect.
Enid: He better watch out or he'll get AIDS when he date-rapes her.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:11 pm

I do think the guy ranked the superman main title way too low. But his overall picks were very well done.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Bob Gerdes

Post by Bob Gerdes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:57 am

They're not ranked in the article, just assembled for your listening pleasure:
To celebrate his auspicious anniversary, we have gathered together in no particular order 80 of his greatest cues to showcase the dizzying scope and seemingly unfathomable depths of his genius.
Eschew obfuscation

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Hah, see what I get for jumping right to song samples without reading the full text?

James In Toronto

Post by James In Toronto » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:Hah, see what I get for jumping right to song samples without reading the full text?
Speaking of which, here's a direct link to the sample of the Raider's March[MP3] for anyone who wants a ringtone.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:37 pm

It's not John Williams, but I forgot that the uber-crappy "Supergirl" film had a really nice score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:50 pm

This old thread reminded me how much I love some of Goldsmith's lesser known works.

This movie is just insanely fun too. I remember reading the book at some point and it was also quite good. Connery actually did all his own stuntwork atop the train. Really rousing score.

Recently re-watched the "Boys from Brazil" and had forgotten how much elegance his score brought to the table. I was a bit surprised that the movie still stands up quite well.

Youtubing around, I had forgotten that he also wrote the soundtrack for Logan's Run, a movie that really does deserve a proper remake.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:57 pm

I'm also reminded of this beautiful piece of music by James Horner from the "Rocketeer".

I'm pretty sure Copperfield used it for one of his TV specials, but I can't remember which one.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:43 am

Listening to this beautiful score by Jame Horner (RIP).

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:18 am

John Williams marches (Raiders especially) are great. His march from from the otherwise shitty "1941" is pretty damn good.

Speaking of march type themes, how can I not mention Jerry Goldsmith's classic trek theme, which I think stands head an shoulders with anything Williams has done. It's just slower and more majestic than the abridged version that was co-opted for the "next generation". Here's a nice live performance that folds in a bit of "Ilya's theme", a really pretty piece of music.

Or his stirring "Klingon theme"

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

John Carpenter

Post by Chris Aguilar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:28 am

One of my all time favorite movie themes is getting a update by the same guy who initially created it. John Carpenter's "Halloween" theme. I remember sitting in the theater (12 years old!) with my dad, and hearing this theme (well the original) and remembering how it conveyed so much... dread.

Fortunately, the updated version respects that with a few nice twists.