Examples from around the web.

Support for my Vector Playing Card Project (Standard playing card face in .SVG and .EPS format)
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Examples from around the web.

Post by Chris Aguilar » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:15 am

Here's someone that took the vectors and printed them out on aluminum alloy.

Kind of useless, but cool.
Metal_cards.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Re: Examples from around the web.

Post by Chris Aguilar » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:47 am

Alice in Wonderland Themed outfits for a marching team.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Denis Behr

Post by Denis Behr » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:39 pm

It's only the ugliest project so far. I'm confident it will be superseded soon.
"The existence of gospel magic seems to me as compelling an argument for atheism as could be imagined."
T.A. Waters

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:28 am

Denis Behr wrote:It's only the ugliest project so far. I'm confident it will be superseded soon.
Unfortunately I share that confidence. :boozer:

I normally ask/hope that people credit me when they use my vector card set, but this time I think I'll let it go and hope no one notices my unwitting contribution to this sparkly, rainbow coated eyesore of a deck..

rmorrell

Post by rmorrell » Mon May 11, 2015 5:49 am

Check out the Deck of Cards API:

http://deckofcardsapi.com/

It doesn't use your vector cards Chris, but they do get a mention on the hacker news thread about this site:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9522489

So hopefully he will move them over as the court cards in particular in the current version of his API are bad, basically he lifted them off wikipedia!
Rich.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Mon May 11, 2015 8:21 am

That API project is interesting Rich. And you're right, he should absolutely use my set of cards for a more professional look.

Google Code, one of the main places the code for the images is hosted, is unfortunately, soon shutting down.

However, I've always alternatively hosted at Sourceforge, so the project will continue to be publicly available.

I need the set myself for use in the CN charity book project, but there were some serious issues with symmetry spacing, size, some bad paths etc. that needed a lot of work. So I set about creating version 2.0 of the set and I'm almost done. The basic card set 2.0 itself is finished, with much cleanup done and two distinct (and nice) new jokers added, one in color. I also created a bunch of simple (but different) back patterns (nothing fancy) in four colors (red, blue, green, purple) and will likely create at least a few high contrast b/w backs also for printing use.

Once I do a few final tweaks on the b/w set (which is the one I primarily need right now) I'll probably release what I have as a new version and then add at least one fancy back in the next few months. I also have a smaller set that's optimized for smaller (read mobile) screens that I've sort of offered on a pay basis, but I think I'm just going to add that to the open source project too.

I'm seriously considering creating a version of the cards that is optimized for prototyping gaffed cards, for magicians only, but that's not going to come until much later. Part of that is growing out of my desire to create a deck for my own use containing specific gaffs (which I'll probably just "print on demand" for myself and anyone interested.)

I know of at least one person (can't remember who, dang it) who used the vectors set in their hard-copy magic book and I'm going to really encourage others to do the same. My ulterior motive is that I just hate seeing people use shitty looking card graphics on their websites, books, etc.

I probably need to post up a FAQ concerning copyright as it's clear that many people don't understand that the standard faces have been in the public domain for many many years. USPCC only claims trademark (not copyright) on the AS Design, Joker, Number (like 808) and back designs.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Mon May 25, 2015 10:23 am

The layered nature of the cards probably made this a bit easier. Looks great though.
woodcut_card.jpg

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Wow, this just became one of my favorite uses for the vector cards.

Click the buttons, drag the cards around and just admire how smooth and pretty it is. No adobe flash, etc. Just good old web standards (in this case pure HTML5).

This opens up other websites to use his routines to provide a really nice experience.

rmorrell

Post by rmorrell » Thu May 26, 2016 8:42 am

Martin Eisele has just released an iPhone app to accompany Pit Hartling's new book In Order to Amaze the app helps you in Pit's Poker Formulas trick and uses Chris's Vector Cards with full credit in the iTunes description:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sd-poker/id1099492468
Rich.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:25 am

Here's a freecell type app (for apple) that used the vector card set in an extremely smooth, professional manner.

iosappvectorsample.jpeg

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:00 am

I've been sitting on a "mini" version of the card-set (similar to the cards used in the above post, iphone app) that I've never released. With phone screens getting so big, I always figured it would be a waste of time. But the above makes me think there might still be some use for that sort of thing. Perhaps I should dust them off, clean them up and put them out there.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Yikes! And I believe that the download # might only represent the latest version.
Downloads
At some point (since I really hate Sourceforge) I'll probably move all the vector card information (and downloads) to a page on this site and link the downloads elsewhere.

The newest version might also be licensed a bit differently (still free to use) but perhaps a bit clearer on proper use/attribution/etc. It's complex, but I'll work it out. LGPL licensing is nice, but perhaps not the best for this sort of thing.